Five Reasons Why You Should Waterproof Your Basement?
Building basements are prone to flooding and water leaks. You can expect sudden flooding, even if it has never happened before. It is common after heavy rains and rapid snowmelts when the groundwater level rises above the level of your basement floor. There can be a number of other causes for water damages, such as foundation leakage, overland flooding and sewer backup. Basement waterproofing is an effective way to control moisture. The team of experts at Paul's Basement Waterproofing provides various services to ensure basements or crawlspaces are well-maintained and dry.
Your basement is not just a place to store odd items that you want to keep out of sight. It is the foundation of your building, and so it is very important to take precautionary measures to protect it. Here are the top five reasons why you should consider waterproofing your basement:
1. Prevents Flooding – When high levels of groundwater presses against the basement floor, it cracks, allowing water to seep in. Basement waterproofing protects your home and your stored valuables from costly water damages.
2. Prevents Mold – Moisture level increases in your basement after water leakage. Dark, damp and humid conditions are ideal for mould and mildew growth. Mould weakens the substrate on which it grows as it takes nutrients from it. This results in weak foundation walls or floors. Further, mould growth can aggravate or cause allergies, cough, skin irritations and asthma. Eliminate this threat by waterproofing your basement.
3. Prevents Cracks in Foundation - When moisture gets trapped in the small porous surfaces of your foundation, it can expand and contract with falling and rising temperatures. This can lead to cracks in basement walls and floors. Water leakage through cracked or bowed basement walls compromises the structural integrity of your home.
4. Reduces Energy Costs – A warm and wet basement drives up humidity levels in summer months, increasing cooling costs. Alternatively, cracks in the foundation can let in the cold winter air, increasing heat loss and reducing the effects of your home heating system. Insulate your home by waterproofing your basement and make sure your heating and cooling systems are more efficient.
5. Increases Value – A waterproofed basement automatically increases your property’s worth, as it adds protection and security to your building structure. Returns on your investment are guaranteed as it practically pays for itself.
Contact us to know more about our basem